Have you always dreamed of becoming a Cairns FM 89.1 radio presenter ?
Do you have a great idea for a program ? We can help you and train you.
But first, here are a few things to consider:
Commitment: programs are weekly programs and you will need to commit to 26 weeks initially. Of course we cannot expect you to be available all the time, so think about having a co-presenter (we encourage teams of presenters); you may also wish to include a producer who will help you with your research and panelling;
Preparation: presenting a program takes preparation. If your program is a 1 hour program, expect to spend at least 2 hours preparing it;
Multi-tasking: our presenters do it all by themselves: research, preparation, presentation, panelling… so you need to be a little technically aware – or ready to learn; and be comfortable in the use of a computer;
Membership: you will need to become a member of Cairns FM89.1 as an On Air Presenter
To do this role, you will need to:
- have excellent presentation and performance skills
- be able to generate original ideas, and to think creatively about how to communicate them to audiences
- understand how to use your voice effectively for radio
- be able to learn how to use a variety of recording equipment and to operate different radio studios
- be able to present while operating studio controls and co-ordinating a range of simultaneous technical activities
- be able to communicate knowledgeably and engagingly with audiences
- have excellent communication skills and be able to draw information from people
- be able to work calmly effectively under pressure, react quickly, and meet tight deadlines
- have knowledge of the law, ethics and industry regulations around radio production
- understand the requirements of the relevant health and safety legislation and procedures
- have strong IT skills, including word processing, data handling and audio editing
- have knowledge of the radio market, different station and programme styles, and audience demographics
- Be open to new ideas
Still interested ? Follow these steps:
1) Prepare a short description of your proposed program: content, type of music, duration (1 or 2 hours), number of presenters, title;
2) Contact our Station Manager on: Tel: (07) 4053 6891 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
3) We will contact you for a chat and a studio test. If your application is successful, you will need to partake in our 8 weeks training program (part time).
Cost: A fee of $99 (incl GST) applies to cover the materials costs.
Cairns FM 89.1 INTRODUCTION TO RADIO BROADCASTING TRAINING – 2020
Our training is designed for beginners who have no previous experience in broadcasting and covers the essentials of community radio broadcasting. The training program has been developed in-house and you will receive a certificate of attendance upon completion.
Our training covers:
- Introduction to community radio and station work health and safety
- broadcast law and codes of practice
- planning and preparing a program
- panel operation
- editing & mixing
The course is run over 3 Saturdays with 4 hours each week. There are 6 sessions of 2 hours each, split between theory and studio practice. Additional time (at your own time) will be required to practice studio panel operations, editing & mixing and the use of our playout system.
You will also have the opportunity to sit in with other presenters before going on air
Before being allowed on air, you will need to provide 2 generic pre-recorded programs (of 1 or 2 hours each, depending on your chosen program duration). This takes a lot of preparation and practice, so you need to be prepared to put in the hours required.
Please contact Anna on email@example.com to Training Day Information.